Monday, January 4, 2021

New Year, New Blog, Old Problems

Hi, and welcome to Debt Free McKees! I used to post on a Wordpress site, but after having a ton of issues on Wordpress with my other blog, I decided to come back to Blogger. I'm planning to update some of the articles from the Wordpress site and bring them over here. The rest of the things there can just continue to live their lives like they do now.

Since this is technically a new blog, let's introduce ourselves! We are the McKees (obvs.), and we are on a journey to become debt free. There are three of us in the family, and we also have a dog who thinks he's a human! I'm Amber, and I do the writing and the Instagramming. I'm married to Will (it'll be 8 years in March!), and we have a sassy daughter Char who will be 5 in April. Our human dog, Koopa, will be 8 in March. 

We are the typical American family. We have a car payment, a mortgage, student loan debts, credit card debt, medical bills, personal loans, and a bunch of other little nagging debts that we tend to ignore. We rarely budget and nearly always spend more than we make. We are behind on a couple of monthly bills, and our savings account has a balance of somewhere in the neighborhood of $5. We have gone through being unemployed and underemployed in 2020. We have made horrible financial decisions, and we are ready for a change.

Here's where our old problems come in. We have been motivated, angry, fed up, encouraged, tired, ready, encouraged, and fired up many, many times before. I can't count the number of times both on our other blog, our Instagram, and in real life that we have said that's it and we are done with debt FOREVER. But, here we are in 2021, and not only are we not done with debt - we have taken on even more. Now, we have paid a few things off since I last added up our debts, but unfortunately, we have added more back into the pile. I have no idea what our current number is or whether it is better or worse than the last number I calculated. Will and I are working on getting those numbers together, and when we do, we'll post the total on Instagram, then I'll post more details about where we stand when I write a February goals post at the end of the month. 

We also have to re-evaluate our plan of attack. There are things in the DR plan that we agree with, but there are things that don't make sense to us, especially in 2021, after so many things went haywire last year. We are also hesitant to continue to support someone who has made it known that he feels that hotel employees who have to enforce mask mandates are "$8 an hour twerps" (source). We want to follow the teaching and advice of someone who is more aligned with our family's goals and values, and we would like to find someone who is working at or has worked at some of these "twerp jobs" and still had financial success. In other words, we want to follow real people. 😏 I'd love to hear who inspires you or who has great, practical advice! 

If you made it through my novel, welcome to our new space. I'll be posting here every Monday, and the posts will be a mixture of talking about who is motivating us on our journey, sharing some ways we make extra money or save money, and discussing our goals, numbers, and progress. I'll be posting on Instagram twice a week also, so be sure to follow us there for quick updates. I'm excited about restarting this journey and making actual progress on knocking out our debt this year. If you're a blogger or Instagrammer who is on a debt-free journey or who is already debt free, leave us a comment so we can check out your space. Happy 2021, everyone. Let's make this our best year yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monthly Wrap Up : January 2021

On the first Monday of each month, I plan to post our prior month's wrap up, which will include the extra money and gift cards we brough...